Phuket Wedding Service
CIVIL MARRIAGE IN THAILAND
Phuket Wedding Service is not only your German wedding planner and contact person when it comes to planning and organizing the ceremony and celebration of your dream wedding in Thailand. We also support you with all the bureaucratic requirements of a civil wedding in Thailand.
CIVIL MARRIAGE IN THAILAND – SUMMARY
Here again, all the necessary steps for your civil wedding in Thailand summarized:
- Application for the certificate of eligibility to marry at the German registry office.
- Application for the consular certification at the German Embassy in Bangkok.
- Legalization of the consular certification at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok.
- Application for the marriage at the registry office in the location of your wedding ceremony.
- Signing of your marriage certificate on-site on your wedding day.
- Translation of the marriage certificate and the extract from the family register into German.
- Authentication of the marriage certificate at the German Embassy in Bangkok.
- Superlegalization of the marriage certificate at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Submission of the documents to the German registry office and registration of the marriage.
AFTER THE CIVIL WEDDING IN THAILAND
In order for your marriage to be valid in Germany, further steps need to be taken. After you have signed your marriage certificate on your wedding day and your marriage is registered in the Thai family register, the preparation of documents for the German registry office will now take place.
Your Thai marriage certificate, as well as the extract from the family court, must first be translated into German. Then, everything will be certified again at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs and legalized by the German Embassy. This way, your documents will be authenticated for official use in Germany, and you will only need to register your marriage with the German registry office.
All the steps described above can be done by yourself if you are a bit adventurous (Thai authorities can sometimes be a bit demanding and unpredictable?), have enough time, and maybe have already planned a stopover in Bangkok.
For those for whom this is too much effort and time-consuming, we offer our document and bureaucratic service.
After thorough consultation with us, simply send us the required documents (passport copies and, most importantly, the certificate of eligibility to marry) from Germany in advance, and we will take care of everything else. Enjoy your vacation and leave all the annoying bureaucratic procedures to us.
LEGAL MARRIAGES IN THAILAND FOR SAME-SEX COUPLES
Civil weddings for same-sex couples are unfortunately not possible in Thailand yet. In this regard, despite its openness, Thailand is still somewhat behind. We sincerely hope that Thailand will join the countries that recognize and allow legally binding marriages for same-sex couples in the near future.
Until then, symbolic weddings of same-sex couples can, of course, be celebrated in Thailand.
GETTING MARRIED CIVILLY IN THAILAND –
- If you plan to get legally married in Thailand, we recommend starting the entire wedding planning process at least 6 months in advance.
- Plan your wedding so that your wedding day is at least 6-7 working days after your entry. This will give you enough time to prepare all the necessary documents.
- Independently inquire about all requirements from all relevant authorities (German registry office, German Embassy, Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Thai registry office), separate from the information provided above.
- Every couple is different, and the requirements are always unique to each case and should be individually verified.
- All the information and services mentioned above apply to German citizens.
- We do not assume any liability for the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the information provided. We reserve the right to make changes or additions to the information or data provided without prior notice.
- The information on this page does not constitute legal advice.